2lbs firm celery
- 1tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp chili oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
1. Separate the green celery from the inner white green, and then wash and dry. Save the yellow celery leaves for garnish. Using a peeler, peel the green celery to see a little white.
2. Cut both the green and white on med-size diagonal shape. Then toss with the salt and sugar for 40 minutes at room temperature. During that time, the salt will extract water from the celery, thus making it crisp and crunchy.
3. Whisk the sauce together, and leave it alone for 10 minutes to develop flavor. You must taste the sauce for your preference. If you like hot, add more chili oil.
4. After 40 minutes, rinse the celery about three times to get rid of the salt. Then pat it dry with a paper towel. Put the celery and dressing together, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours for best flavor.
5. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, slice scallions, and the saved yellow celery leaves. At this point, if you have micro cilantro that can work as a garnish as well.