- 1 1/4 lbs boneless pork belly, with skin
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, unpeeled, crush
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, cut into 3 sections
- 3 tbsps canola oil
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsps Shaoxing rice wine
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 star anise
- 2 dried red chilies
1. Blanch the pork for 4 minutes in boiling water, then remove and rinse to cool. Cut the pork into 3-inch chunks, leaving each piece with a layer of skin and a mixture of lean meat and fat.
2. Heat the oil in a dutch-oven pot until smoking. Add the pork and sear on both sides until golden brown. Then add the stock and all the other ingredients too.
3. Bring the liquid to a boil, then simmer, half-covered with the lid for two hours, until the liquid is reduce to a glaze-like consistency, and the meat is fork tender.