This spicy vegetable stew reminds me of a warm woman lying next to me on my couch watching reruns of Friends on a cold windy day. You never want it to end!
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 1 spanish onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel, cumin, and coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp tamarind liquid
- 1 cup water or stock of choose
- 2 Japanese eggplants, cut into wedges, pan-roasted
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, and as they begin to pop, add the curry leaves. Immediately, add the sliced onions, cook until light brown.
- Add the tomato paste, spices, and cook until the flavor is combined and the oil has come out into the pan.
- Add the tamarind liquid with the water. Bring to a boil while adding the roasted eggplant, cherry tomatoes. Simmer until slightly reduce and the flavor is balanced. Should have a slightly more spicy taste, with a sour note.