If you are short on time for dinner and you want something spicy and light, then japanese eggplant is a vegetable/fruit that cooks easily and absorbs flavor quickly, compare to the globe eggplant.
This recipe has only 8 ingredients: eggplant, onion, garlic, scallions, tamari (gluten-free), gochujang, sesame oil, and water. This can be served as a side dish, or pair it with a grain, such as quinoa to make an entree.
Nutritional and Health Benefits
A. Japanese Eggplant
- The eggplant skin contains nasunin, which is known to protect brain cell membranes and anti-cancer agent.
- Is an excellent source of dietary fiber, which can help protect against type 2 diabetes and keeps the digestive system regular.
- The vitamins in eggplant consist primarily of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene), B vitamins, folate and vitamin C. Eggplant is also rich in minerals, boasting a large quantity of potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphorous.
- Great source of vitamins C, B1, B6 and K, biotin, chromium, dietary fiber, and folic acid.
- Clinical studies have shown onions to decrease blood lipid levels, prevent clot formation, and lower blood pressure.
- 1 Japanese eggplant, cut into oblique
- 1 spanish onion, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 each scallion, sliced
- 1/4 cup gochujang
- 2 tsp tamari (gluten-free)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- honey to taste
- 1 tbsp water
- Heat a large wok or a wide pot with the oil over medium heat. Add the eggplant first, brown slightly, then add the onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make the sauce. Combine the gochujang, tamari, sesame oil, and honey in a small bowl. Add the 1 tbsp of water to make a sauce.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the sauce, and coat vegetables with it. Season for taste. Add the sliced scallions for garnish.
Murray, Michael., J. Pizzorno, and Lara Pizzorno. The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods. New York, Atria Books, 2005.
The Nutritional Benefits of Eggplant. April 4, 2015. Retrieved from http://www.livestrong.com/article/19046-nutritional-benefits-eggplant/